Happy Halloween! Some kind of spooky comet has been seen in the sky, and it seems to have resulted in some kind of Halloween related weirdness! You should find a stack of seeds for the new pumpkin bush and a random mask in your inventory, and we’ve heard sightings of weird ghost-like energy beings that can be found on the surface of the planet.
We’re still hard at work on the next larger content update, but we decided to do a small Halloween update in the interim because Halloween is probably the best holiday. As usual, let us know if you run into any problems or if you have any suggestions.
- Ghost creature
- Ghost Hide armor set
- Ghost Hide Helmet
- Ghost Hide Torso
- Ghost Hide Leggings
- Ghost Hide Gloves
- Ghost Hide Boots
- Ghost Hide Arms
- Ghost Blade
- Soul Vessel
- Another creature
- Pumpkin Bushes and Pumpkins
- Pumpkin Berry
- Small Pumpkin
- Medium Pumpkins
- Large Pumpkin
- Very Large Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Seeds for growing Pumpkin Bushes
- Edible Pumpkin Rind
- Various Halloweeny masks
- Pumpkin Mask
- Jack O’ Lantern Mask
- Halloween Hood
- Hockey Mask
- Plastic Pumpkin Bucket
- New crafting materials
- We changed the Flying Javelin to a Flying Harpoon, which fires darts with the alternate fire. This is unrelated to Halloween.
- Ghost Hide Armor
- Ghost Hide Helmet – 2x Ghost Hide, 1x Leather Strap
- Ghost Hide Torso – 5x Ghost Hide, 3x Leather Straps, 2x Ghost Claws
- Ghost Hide Arms – 3x Ghost Hide, 2x Leather Straps, 1x Ghost Claw
- Ghost Hide Gloves – 2x Ghost Hide, 2x Leather Straps
- Ghost Hide Leggings – 4x Ghost Hide, 4x Leather Straps, 1x Ghost Claw
- Ghost Hide Boots – 2x Ghost Hide, 2x Leather Straps
- Ghost Blade – 2x Ghost Claw, 4x Iron Ingots, 1x Ghost Hide
- Halloween Masks
- Pumpkin Mask – 1x Medium Pumpkin
- Jack O’ Lantern Mask – 1x Medium Pumpkin and Something Sharp
- Halloween Hood – 2x Ghost Hide and Scissors
- Hockey Mask – 3x Plastic, 2x Leather Straps
- Flying Dart (5) – 5x Laminous Wings, 5x Sticks, 1x Bone
- Fixed some crashes related to being too high up in the map
- Fixed some issues with breaking deposits
- Misc other things
The primary goal with this update was to change the combat balance and armor/weapon progression to be more satisfying across the length of the game. This update is light on the new content because we’re still working on the next major content update, but we figured we should go ahead and put out the balance changes in the meantime.
Previously, armor provided percentage damage reduction, which meant early armor sets protected very little, the high level armor sets ended up providing far too much protection, and going from one tier to the next didn’t feel very satisfying because gaining a few percentage points of defense at a time is really boring. The new system uses flat damage reduction, so if you pick up a helmet that has a defense of 3 it will just prevent 3 damage, which might not seem like a big change but it allows us to make the progression much more satisfying and each new tier of armor or weapons should feel like more of an upgrade. There is a cap on the defense though, and you will always take at least 25% of the damage that is dealt to you. These changes required tweaking the balance of pretty much everything in the game. Most creatures have more health, most weapons do more damage, and we’ve changed the way armor piercing works so that individual weapons can have specific armor piercing values.
We’ve done a significant amount of testing, but with all the combinations of creatures and weapons we have I’m sure there will still be some balance issues, so let us know what you think. We’re definitely not done tweaking the combat balance, but we decided now was a good time to start making some big steps towards a better system.
- Changed armor calculations to use flat damage reduction instead of percent damage reduction
- Shields no longer add to encumbrance
- Encumbrance values tweaked across the board
- Encumbrance can now slow your melee attack speed if it is high enough
- Projectiles now have individual armor piercing values
- The weird pink eyeball creatures can now only spawn spikes on appropriate block types. Also reduced their initial spawn rate.
- Sulfur gas now does its own damage type, we’ll probably make a gas mask or something soon
- Tesla gun does more damage but uses more energy
- Base energy regen rate has been doubled
- Reduced energy regen rate bonus on the Jewel sets
- Increased damage of most projectiles
- Increased health of most creatures
- Increased armor on many creatures
- Fists now do more damage with better gloves
- Kicking now does more damage with better boots
- Increased rocket/grenade explosion range
- Reduced the spawn rate of creatures
- Spears no longer prevent you from moving while attacking
- Increased the amount of sand that generates on the surface of planets
- Changed quick slots to use Z/X instead of Q/E by default, and changed the default dodge behavior so that Q/E make you dodge left/right.
- Reduced knockdown received from creature
- Spiked wall creature updated, it is now much easier to damage in the soft spot and much harder to hurt it from the back
- Fruits can no longer spawn quite as close together
- During world generation, the area between the mining base and Pioneer Station have been cleaned up a bit. This means fewer spikes, etc.
- Deposits should now only generate on flat ground
- Added some grass golems to the far side of the planet during world generation
- Toilets can now be opened
- Tweaked some bits of the Pioneer Station and Mining Base. Nothing major, but we’re working on fleshing them out a little bit at a time.
- Renamed Rifle Ammo to 5.56 Ammo
- You can now click quick slots in order to select them while the inventory menu is closed.
- Sheared sheep now drop 1 piece of wool when sheared post-mortem instead of 0.
- Slightly reduced the drop rates of sticks/logs when breaking trees
- Fixed some cases where certain energy bonuses wouldn’t stack. Let us know if you see more.
- Fixed some graphical issue with the spike blocks
- Fixed a crash related to fireballs
- Fixed a bug with fall damage calculation related to using multiple fall damage reduction items
- Movement buttons no longer get stuck on if you were holding them while clicking in the search box of the crafting window
- AGIS message received when you equip the entire prototype mining suit now only appears once
Hey folks, got another update ready for ya. This update had two objectives, we wanted to make the underground a bit more interesting and we wanted to do some work on general user friendliness features. We’ve still got a lot of work on our plate before we’ll feel like the underground is as interesting as we want it to be, but this should take us a significant step closer. We also added some sweet weapons and gadgets because they’re fun to make =D We’ve fixed all the bugs we’re aware of, but I’m sure there are some things we missed, so let us know when you run into issues. We still have more a bit more planned for the new Biome, but we didn’t want to keep you folks waiting any longer, so expect some new things to trickle in over the next couple weeks. We’re particularly interested in your opinions on balance of the new items/creatures/etc, so don’t be afraid to pop in and let us know what you think.
- New Underground Biome
- New Creatures
- Dart Crawler
- Crawler Pod
- Chitinous Spike Wall
- Chitinous Spike Boss
- Added a Decoy Hologram throwable gadget that will distract creatures that aren’t too mad at you.
- Added an Explosive Grenade.
- Added a Trajectory Computer that displays predicted paths for throwable items and arrows.
- Changed the sprites on the Vintage Mining Suit armor pieces, and renamed them to “Prototype Mining Suit” pieces.
- Added a portable Iron Grill as a heat source.
- Added Optical Camo activator gadget.
- Added Armor Patch mods for armor pieces. You can add any one patch to any armor piece. The patches cannot be removed, but they can be replaced. If you have good ideas for more of these let us know!
- Carbon Nanotube Mesh – Adds 2% damage resistance to a piece of armor.
- Ceramic Plate – Adds 5% heat and energy resistance to a piece of armor.
- Optical Camo – Adds optical camo to a piece of armor. Must be activated with the Optical Camo activator and all armor pieces must have optical camo applied to function.
- Added 9mm Ricochet Ammo, it is not very helpful…
- Added a Railgun. Its still way overpowered, but we’ll be tweaking it.
- The Escape Pod now has a built in respawner.
- Equipment Spoiler: [spoiler]Added an upgraded version of the mining suit, the Mining Suit Mk2. Equip all the pieces of the Prototype Mining Suit to discover the recipes for the pieces.[/spoiler]
- Equipment Spoiler: [spoiler]Added a Chitinous Shield crafted with bits from the new underground boss.[/spoiler]
- Decoy Hologram – 2x Steel Rivets, 3x Copper Wire, 1x Small Battery, 1x Refined Sapphire, 1x Standard Lens.
- Trajectory Computer – 1x Microchip, 1x Plastic, 1x Copper Wire, 1x Standard Lens.
- Explosive Grenade (3) – 1x Iron Ingot, 1x Black Powder.
- 9mm Ricochet Ammo (12) – 1x Lead, 1x Black Powder, 1x Springtail Nectar.
- Armor Patch Mods
- Carbon Nanotube Mesh – 1x D6 Polymer, 1x Steel Rivet.
- Ceramic Plate – 1x Clay, 1x Steel Rivet.
- Optical Camo – 1x LED, 1x Steel Rivet.
- Optical Camo Activator, 1x Microchip, 1x Plastic, 1x Small Battery, 1x Copper Wire.
- Iron Grill – 6x Iron Ingots, Requires Tool: Hammer.
- Railgun – 1x Steel Gun Parts, 18x Copper Wire, 1x Standard Lens, 1x Refined Ruby, 4x Medium Battery.
- Iron Railgun Slugs (6) – 1x Iron Ingot.
- Microchip – 1x Sand, 1x Copper Wire, 1x Rough Topaz.
- [spoiler]Chitinous Shield – 1x Medusa Medulla, 6x Crawler Spines, 1x Chitinous Plate, 1x Plated Hide Strap.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 – You get the recipes when you wear the entire Prototype Mining Suit at once.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Helmet – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Helmet, 1x Medium Battery, 1x Microchip, 2x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Torso – 1x Protoype Mining Suit Torso, 6x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 4x D6 Polymer, 4x Copper Wire.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Legs – 1x Protoype Mining Suit Legs, 6x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Arms – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Arms, 4x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Boots – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Boots, 4x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Gloves – 1x Prototype Mining Gloves, 4x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Jumpjet – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet, 1x Large Battery, 6x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 4x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet – 1x Broken Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet, 1x Jumpjet Core, Requires Tool: Screwdriver.[/spoiler]
- You can now switch to a manual item slot mode that lets you drag your items to your hotbar.
- Added an Auto Pickup option to the settings menu. Automatically picks up items on the ground when you walk over them.
- The player respawns in the escape pod by default.
- You can stand in any respawners you find and right click it in order to set your respawn point to that respawner.
- The player now has acceleration and deceleration when moving around.
- Fall damage calculation changed and fall damage is now potentially much more deadly if you fall for long distances.
- Changed Jumpjet behavior to be much more useful
- Increased growing time of bush saplings.
- Thrown items no longer stack with existing items in the world.
- You can now cancel a throw or bow pull by pressing the reload key.
- Changed controls for throwable items. Left clicking now drops items and you can hold the right mouse button to power up a throw. You can use the scroll wheel to adjust the power of the throw after holding down the right mouse button.
- Tweaked thrown item physics a bit.
- Removed Material Printer crafting requirement from: Steel Arrows, Steel Bolts, Jewel Arrows, Jewel Bolts, Explosive Arrows, Rockets and Launcher Grenades.
- Reduced healing rate of the Regeneration Salve by half.
- Smelting Furnace now smelts metal twice as fast as the basic smelter.
- Jewel Arrows and Bolts now travel a bit faster.
- Jewel Bows and Crossbows have a bit more power.
- The pale spitting creature’s melee attacks now break weak blocks and its spit can corrode away weak blocks.
- Tweaked creature AI to be a bit more consistent.
- Mobs should no longer be able to hit players through the wall with melee attacks.
- Marble Deposits now have a chance to drop anthracite when broken.
- Tapping the hotbar slot for the active item now holsters it
- Fall damage is no longer impacted by armor. We likely will add more fall damage reduction foot items rather than have the armor value itself reduce fall damage.
- [spoiler]The old steel jumpjet has been replaced with the Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet, which is crafted from a broken one you find in the Pioneer Station. along with the Jumpjet Core that you get from the robot chicken.[/spoiler]
- Prototype Mining Suit armor pieces are now distributed randomly in bases in the world.
- Platforms now draw in front of trees and bushes.
- Increased the max audio volume from 11 to 20.
- Significantly decreased world generation time.
- Various performance improvements.
- Renamed Puncher Plate to Chitinous Plate.
- Synchronized quick slots in multiplayer games, there may still be issues with specific items so let us know if you have any problems.
- Fixed some typos in item descriptions, let us know if you find more!
- Fixed a crash related to laser pistols.
- Fixed the tongue attack on the fat-butt purple creature so that it no longer goes through blocks on its way to the player.
- Sparks from the firestarter should no longer travel through a campfire and light the grass under it on fire.
- Fixed some cases where right clicking in the inventory would trigger the alternate fire on weapons.
- Fixed a bug that could result in reduced performance if you discoved a lot of recipes in a single play session.
- Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause parts of creatures to disappear.
- Fixed some issues with the flyer javelin.
- Fixed several multiplayer bugs related to inventory items.