Got a new update for you folks. The big feature of this update is the long-requested co-op multiplayer, today is truly a red letter day. Multiplayer uses Steamworks and is drop-in, drop-out, so you should be able to join your friends games through the friends list or the new multiplayer menu from the main menu. Right now the multiplayer is exclusively peer to peer, but we’ll be looking into the option of dedicated servers before too long. We’ve done quite a bit of testing and things seem to be working pretty well, but multiplayer is a very complicated feature so definitely let us know if/when you run into issues.
We’ve decided to bump the version number to 0.5, because in a way we feel like the addition of multiplayer brings Signs of Life to about the halfway point. Almost all of our technical challenges are solved, and we’ll be able to focus on mostly content and bugfixes from now on.
- Added drop-in, drop-out multiplayer. Enabled by default, so you should be able to drop right into your friends’ games.
- Players join in the middle of the surface of the planet
- Players show up as a blue dot on your minimap and also show up on the GPS device
- Added a multiplayer join menu to the main menu which shows your friends that are currently playing, you can also join through the friends list
- Added an in-game multiplayer menu that allows you to disable/enable multiplayer as well as turn on/off auto join (by default it asks for permission when a friend tries to join your game)
- Added a player listing to the top right of the screen when the inventory menu is open and you have other players on your server
- Added server-wide chat, opened by pressing T while in game.
- Burst Rifle – 1x Steel Gun Parts, 5x Plastic
- Flying Javelin – 1x Laminous Wing, 1x Stick, 1x Bone
- Tomahawk – 1x Bone, 1x Stick, 1x Plant Fiber
- Rocky Arms – 1x Rock Lips, 1x Rock Core, 4x Wool Padding, 2x Leather Strap
- Rocky Gloves – 2x Rock Lips, 2x Wool Padding, 2x Leather Strap
- Rubbery Legs – 4x Rubbery Skin, 2x Organic Joint, 4x Wool Padding, 2x Leather Strap
- Rubbery Boots – 2x Rubbery Skin, 2x Leather Strap
- Smelting recipes are now displayed in the crafting menu
- LED recipe material requirements reduced significantly
- LED crafing recipe output changed to 3
- Copper Wire recipe output changed to 3
- Black Powder recipe output changed to 3
- Rubber recipe output changed to 3
- Plastic recipe output changed to 3
- Unrefined glass smelting recipe output changed to 3
- Launcher Parts now require the material printer
- Crafted blocks recipe outputs changed to 5
- Screwdriver and scissors are now equippable, and you must right click things while they are equipped to use them
- Made crossbows more accurate on the first shot, but less accurate with multiple bolts loaded
- Arrows and bolts now have a chance to break when they strike creatures or surfaces
- When arrows and bolts break, they have a chance to drop some of the materials used in their crafting
- Cracked arrowheads can be smelted into ingots
- Increased goat jump height
- Holding RMB now loops the melee attack on the pulse rifle
- Auto organize containers no longer get sorted inside of matching containers
- Material grinder no longer allows you to drop items on it directly in the inventory
- Fixed the clicking hitbox of the wooden door when opened
- Fixed some issues with thrown items and made their trajectory a bit better
- Tweaked the graphics of the rock creatures
- Added new item drops to the rock creatures
- Fixed some issues with creature AI
- Prevented creatures from attacking the player while they are respawning
- Tweaked the main menu to work better on low resolutions
- A bunch more we forgot about
Update time, yay! Got some fun new toys and features for you folks, let us know if you run into any issues. We changed the way the static lighting works a bit (with torches, etc) so let us know if you notice any reduction in performance. As always, we’d love to hear your thoughts, so don’t be shy and let us know what you think in the comments =)
- Added the teleporter project! Build two, set them to the same symbol and instantly transport yourself (and anything inside the teleporter) across the world.
- Added a deployable turret! It loads 9mm ammo and must be retracted to pick it up. Prevents mob spawning nearby.
- Added flare arrows (Flarrow!)
- Added Bone Arrows
- Steel turret – 1x Microchip, 1x Steel Machine Parts, 1x Steel Gun Parts, 1x Large Battery, 1x D6 Polymer (Requires Material Printer)
- Flare arrows – 1x Aluminum Ingot, 1x Bauxite Ore, 1x Iron Ore (Makes 3)
- Bone arrows – 1x Bone, 5x Sticks, 5x Feathers (Makes 5)
- Power Core – 3x Large Battery, 3x Steel Ingots, 3x Plastic, 1x Refined Rose Quartz (Requires Material Printer)
- Added cursor icons when hovering over things. Let us know if you notice things that we missed that you think should have cursors.
- Fixed some issues with the medium and large fonts.
- Added reload animation to grenade launchers.
- Reduced regeneration salve effect by half, it was pretty overpowered considering you could use 2 and combine it with the health regen from being well fed.
- Doubled energy regen per step of kinetic inductor
- Changed saving method for player inventory, should be backwards compatible but let us know if you notice any missing items or anything like that.
- Disabled connection to local server by default, may cause issues so let us know if you have problems dropping items, things not working as expected, etc. This should fix the issue for people who were having problems dropping items.
- Changing font with a dialogue box open will now properly resize the dialogue box.
- Changed static lighting system (torches, etc) to hopefully be a bit more optimized. Should result in fewer hitches with lots of static lights, let us know if you see a reduction in performance.
- Kinetic inductors now properly stop working when unequipped
Hey folks, I have a small update for ya. Normally I’d hold off until we had a more substantial update ready, but we found a bug with the item details that would occasionally cause items to get removed when you attempted to split a stack so we went ahead and pushed out what we had so far. We also made some balance changes to picks and guns which should make fighting armored creatures a bit less annoying, but we may still need to raise their health amounts to make up for the change, so let us know what you think.
- Added a trash container that holds deleted items until you leave the game. This should be useful if you accidentally delete an item.
- You should no longer open the key item pouch through other containers when you right click
- Fixed some graphical weirdness with equipping items in the MEG menu with right click
- You can now dig multiple background blocks simultaneously with the proper upgrades (Meant to be in the last update, but its here now!)
- Pick damage reduced, but picks now pierce through armored creatures
- Most bullets (not shotgun pellets) now partially pierce armored creatures (reduce armor by half)
- You can no longer equip batteries from power sockets menus.
- Fixed an issue with the item detail popup buttons (items getting deleted when split, etc)
- Fixed a bug that would cause basic smelters to pause their progress
- Fixed beds not making you go to sleep
- Fixed some minor tooltip issues
- Fixed some dupes/issues with the crafting/build menus
We’ve got a brand spankin’ new patch ready for you folks, featuring mostly quality of life improvements that we’ve been working on the last several weeks. Most of this update came directly from feedback we’ve received on the forums and elsewhere, so I just want to say thanks to everyone who is playing Signs of Life and giving us suggestions and feedback. As always, we more than welcome your comments and concerns with the update, so don’t be shy and let us know your thoughts =)
- Added a popout map when you right click the GPS device
- Rubies now increase the number of blocks you can dig simultaneously with the wrist laser, max of 6.
- Added Grenade Launcher
- Added jeweler and munition pouch that collect gems and ammo respectively
- Grenade Launcher (3x Steel Ingots, 1x Rubber, 1x Launcher Parts)
- Launcher Grenades (1x Steel Ingot, 1x Propellant, 1x Black Powder)
- Jeweler Pouch (5x Hide)
- Munition Pouch (5x Hide)
- Added buff tooltip labels and duration display
- Added search box to crafting menu
- Added expand/collapse all buttons to the crafting menu
- Item quantities now display on top of all items in a container
- Darkened the background of the minimap to make it more visible
- Brightend the minimap lines
- Added a whole bunch of tooltips
Misc Gameplay Changes
- Increased damage of the ant queen scythe to 10
- Destroyed projects now drop all the items they cost to craft
- Added a GPS device to the starting escape pod on new characters
- Fixed a bug related to middle clicking power cores while they are in power sockets
- Fixed some spots where animations could get stuck, let us know if you experience any more
- Fixed a crash related to having apostrophes in your save path
- Fixed a physics bug related to the jump jet