Hey folks, got another update ready for ya. This update had two objectives, we wanted to make the underground a bit more interesting and we wanted to do some work on general user friendliness features. We’ve still got a lot of work on our plate before we’ll feel like the underground is as interesting as we want it to be, but this should take us a significant step closer. We also added some sweet weapons and gadgets because they’re fun to make =D We’ve fixed all the bugs we’re aware of, but I’m sure there are some things we missed, so let us know when you run into issues. We still have more a bit more planned for the new Biome, but we didn’t want to keep you folks waiting any longer, so expect some new things to trickle in over the next couple weeks. We’re particularly interested in your opinions on balance of the new items/creatures/etc, so don’t be afraid to pop in and let us know what you think.
- New Underground Biome
- New Creatures
- Dart Crawler
- Crawler Pod
- Chitinous Spike Wall
- Chitinous Spike Boss
- Added a Decoy Hologram throwable gadget that will distract creatures that aren’t too mad at you.
- Added an Explosive Grenade.
- Added a Trajectory Computer that displays predicted paths for throwable items and arrows.
- Changed the sprites on the Vintage Mining Suit armor pieces, and renamed them to “Prototype Mining Suit” pieces.
- Added a portable Iron Grill as a heat source.
- Added Optical Camo activator gadget.
- Added Armor Patch mods for armor pieces. You can add any one patch to any armor piece. The patches cannot be removed, but they can be replaced. If you have good ideas for more of these let us know!
- Carbon Nanotube Mesh – Adds 2% damage resistance to a piece of armor.
- Ceramic Plate – Adds 5% heat and energy resistance to a piece of armor.
- Optical Camo – Adds optical camo to a piece of armor. Must be activated with the Optical Camo activator and all armor pieces must have optical camo applied to function.
- Added 9mm Ricochet Ammo, it is not very helpful…
- Added a Railgun. Its still way overpowered, but we’ll be tweaking it.
- The Escape Pod now has a built in respawner.
- Equipment Spoiler: [spoiler]Added an upgraded version of the mining suit, the Mining Suit Mk2. Equip all the pieces of the Prototype Mining Suit to discover the recipes for the pieces.[/spoiler]
- Equipment Spoiler: [spoiler]Added a Chitinous Shield crafted with bits from the new underground boss.[/spoiler]
- Decoy Hologram – 2x Steel Rivets, 3x Copper Wire, 1x Small Battery, 1x Refined Sapphire, 1x Standard Lens.
- Trajectory Computer – 1x Microchip, 1x Plastic, 1x Copper Wire, 1x Standard Lens.
- Explosive Grenade (3) – 1x Iron Ingot, 1x Black Powder.
- 9mm Ricochet Ammo (12) – 1x Lead, 1x Black Powder, 1x Springtail Nectar.
- Armor Patch Mods
- Carbon Nanotube Mesh – 1x D6 Polymer, 1x Steel Rivet.
- Ceramic Plate – 1x Clay, 1x Steel Rivet.
- Optical Camo – 1x LED, 1x Steel Rivet.
- Optical Camo Activator, 1x Microchip, 1x Plastic, 1x Small Battery, 1x Copper Wire.
- Iron Grill – 6x Iron Ingots, Requires Tool: Hammer.
- Railgun – 1x Steel Gun Parts, 18x Copper Wire, 1x Standard Lens, 1x Refined Ruby, 4x Medium Battery.
- Iron Railgun Slugs (6) – 1x Iron Ingot.
- Microchip – 1x Sand, 1x Copper Wire, 1x Rough Topaz.
- [spoiler]Chitinous Shield – 1x Medusa Medulla, 6x Crawler Spines, 1x Chitinous Plate, 1x Plated Hide Strap.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 – You get the recipes when you wear the entire Prototype Mining Suit at once.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Helmet – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Helmet, 1x Medium Battery, 1x Microchip, 2x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Torso – 1x Protoype Mining Suit Torso, 6x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 4x D6 Polymer, 4x Copper Wire.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Legs – 1x Protoype Mining Suit Legs, 6x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Arms – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Arms, 4x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Boots – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Boots, 4x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Gloves – 1x Prototype Mining Gloves, 4x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 2x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Mining Suit Mk2 Jumpjet – 1x Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet, 1x Large Battery, 6x Steel Rivets, 4x Plastic, 4x D6 Polymer.[/spoiler]
- [spoiler]Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet – 1x Broken Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet, 1x Jumpjet Core, Requires Tool: Screwdriver.[/spoiler]
- You can now switch to a manual item slot mode that lets you drag your items to your hotbar.
- Added an Auto Pickup option to the settings menu. Automatically picks up items on the ground when you walk over them.
- The player respawns in the escape pod by default.
- You can stand in any respawners you find and right click it in order to set your respawn point to that respawner.
- The player now has acceleration and deceleration when moving around.
- Fall damage calculation changed and fall damage is now potentially much more deadly if you fall for long distances.
- Changed Jumpjet behavior to be much more useful
- Increased growing time of bush saplings.
- Thrown items no longer stack with existing items in the world.
- You can now cancel a throw or bow pull by pressing the reload key.
- Changed controls for throwable items. Left clicking now drops items and you can hold the right mouse button to power up a throw. You can use the scroll wheel to adjust the power of the throw after holding down the right mouse button.
- Tweaked thrown item physics a bit.
- Removed Material Printer crafting requirement from: Steel Arrows, Steel Bolts, Jewel Arrows, Jewel Bolts, Explosive Arrows, Rockets and Launcher Grenades.
- Reduced healing rate of the Regeneration Salve by half.
- Smelting Furnace now smelts metal twice as fast as the basic smelter.
- Jewel Arrows and Bolts now travel a bit faster.
- Jewel Bows and Crossbows have a bit more power.
- The pale spitting creature’s melee attacks now break weak blocks and its spit can corrode away weak blocks.
- Tweaked creature AI to be a bit more consistent.
- Mobs should no longer be able to hit players through the wall with melee attacks.
- Marble Deposits now have a chance to drop anthracite when broken.
- Tapping the hotbar slot for the active item now holsters it
- Fall damage is no longer impacted by armor. We likely will add more fall damage reduction foot items rather than have the armor value itself reduce fall damage.
- [spoiler]The old steel jumpjet has been replaced with the Prototype Mining Suit Jumpjet, which is crafted from a broken one you find in the Pioneer Station. along with the Jumpjet Core that you get from the robot chicken.[/spoiler]
- Prototype Mining Suit armor pieces are now distributed randomly in bases in the world.
- Platforms now draw in front of trees and bushes.
- Increased the max audio volume from 11 to 20.
- Significantly decreased world generation time.
- Various performance improvements.
- Renamed Puncher Plate to Chitinous Plate.
- Synchronized quick slots in multiplayer games, there may still be issues with specific items so let us know if you have any problems.
- Fixed some typos in item descriptions, let us know if you find more!
- Fixed a crash related to laser pistols.
- Fixed the tongue attack on the fat-butt purple creature so that it no longer goes through blocks on its way to the player.
- Sparks from the firestarter should no longer travel through a campfire and light the grass under it on fire.
- Fixed some cases where right clicking in the inventory would trigger the alternate fire on weapons.
- Fixed a bug that could result in reduced performance if you discoved a lot of recipes in a single play session.
- Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause parts of creatures to disappear.
- Fixed some issues with the flyer javelin.
- Fixed several multiplayer bugs related to inventory items.
Got a new update for you folks. The big feature of this update is the long-requested co-op multiplayer, today is truly a red letter day. Multiplayer uses Steamworks and is drop-in, drop-out, so you should be able to join your friends games through the friends list or the new multiplayer menu from the main menu. Right now the multiplayer is exclusively peer to peer, but we’ll be looking into the option of dedicated servers before too long. We’ve done quite a bit of testing and things seem to be working pretty well, but multiplayer is a very complicated feature so definitely let us know if/when you run into issues.
We’ve decided to bump the version number to 0.5, because in a way we feel like the addition of multiplayer brings Signs of Life to about the halfway point. Almost all of our technical challenges are solved, and we’ll be able to focus on mostly content and bugfixes from now on.
- Added drop-in, drop-out multiplayer. Enabled by default, so you should be able to drop right into your friends’ games.
- Players join in the middle of the surface of the planet
- Players show up as a blue dot on your minimap and also show up on the GPS device
- Added a multiplayer join menu to the main menu which shows your friends that are currently playing, you can also join through the friends list
- Added an in-game multiplayer menu that allows you to disable/enable multiplayer as well as turn on/off auto join (by default it asks for permission when a friend tries to join your game)
- Added a player listing to the top right of the screen when the inventory menu is open and you have other players on your server
- Added server-wide chat, opened by pressing T while in game.
- Burst Rifle – 1x Steel Gun Parts, 5x Plastic
- Flying Javelin – 1x Laminous Wing, 1x Stick, 1x Bone
- Tomahawk – 1x Bone, 1x Stick, 1x Plant Fiber
- Rocky Arms – 1x Rock Lips, 1x Rock Core, 4x Wool Padding, 2x Leather Strap
- Rocky Gloves – 2x Rock Lips, 2x Wool Padding, 2x Leather Strap
- Rubbery Legs – 4x Rubbery Skin, 2x Organic Joint, 4x Wool Padding, 2x Leather Strap
- Rubbery Boots – 2x Rubbery Skin, 2x Leather Strap
- Smelting recipes are now displayed in the crafting menu
- LED recipe material requirements reduced significantly
- LED crafing recipe output changed to 3
- Copper Wire recipe output changed to 3
- Black Powder recipe output changed to 3
- Rubber recipe output changed to 3
- Plastic recipe output changed to 3
- Unrefined glass smelting recipe output changed to 3
- Launcher Parts now require the material printer
- Crafted blocks recipe outputs changed to 5
- Screwdriver and scissors are now equippable, and you must right click things while they are equipped to use them
- Made crossbows more accurate on the first shot, but less accurate with multiple bolts loaded
- Arrows and bolts now have a chance to break when they strike creatures or surfaces
- When arrows and bolts break, they have a chance to drop some of the materials used in their crafting
- Cracked arrowheads can be smelted into ingots
- Increased goat jump height
- Holding RMB now loops the melee attack on the pulse rifle
- Auto organize containers no longer get sorted inside of matching containers
- Material grinder no longer allows you to drop items on it directly in the inventory
- Fixed the clicking hitbox of the wooden door when opened
- Fixed some issues with thrown items and made their trajectory a bit better
- Tweaked the graphics of the rock creatures
- Added new item drops to the rock creatures
- Fixed some issues with creature AI
- Prevented creatures from attacking the player while they are respawning
- Tweaked the main menu to work better on low resolutions
- A bunch more we forgot about
Update time, yay! Got some fun new toys and features for you folks, let us know if you run into any issues. We changed the way the static lighting works a bit (with torches, etc) so let us know if you notice any reduction in performance. As always, we’d love to hear your thoughts, so don’t be shy and let us know what you think in the comments =)
- Added the teleporter project! Build two, set them to the same symbol and instantly transport yourself (and anything inside the teleporter) across the world.
- Added a deployable turret! It loads 9mm ammo and must be retracted to pick it up. Prevents mob spawning nearby.
- Added flare arrows (Flarrow!)
- Added Bone Arrows
- Steel turret – 1x Microchip, 1x Steel Machine Parts, 1x Steel Gun Parts, 1x Large Battery, 1x D6 Polymer (Requires Material Printer)
- Flare arrows – 1x Aluminum Ingot, 1x Bauxite Ore, 1x Iron Ore (Makes 3)
- Bone arrows – 1x Bone, 5x Sticks, 5x Feathers (Makes 5)
- Power Core – 3x Large Battery, 3x Steel Ingots, 3x Plastic, 1x Refined Rose Quartz (Requires Material Printer)
- Added cursor icons when hovering over things. Let us know if you notice things that we missed that you think should have cursors.
- Fixed some issues with the medium and large fonts.
- Added reload animation to grenade launchers.
- Reduced regeneration salve effect by half, it was pretty overpowered considering you could use 2 and combine it with the health regen from being well fed.
- Doubled energy regen per step of kinetic inductor
- Changed saving method for player inventory, should be backwards compatible but let us know if you notice any missing items or anything like that.
- Disabled connection to local server by default, may cause issues so let us know if you have problems dropping items, things not working as expected, etc. This should fix the issue for people who were having problems dropping items.
- Changing font with a dialogue box open will now properly resize the dialogue box.
- Changed static lighting system (torches, etc) to hopefully be a bit more optimized. Should result in fewer hitches with lots of static lights, let us know if you see a reduction in performance.
- Kinetic inductors now properly stop working when unequipped